4.5 The 4Ps - The importance of product in the marketing mix
ATL Activity 1 - The market for bottled fresh air
Read this article from the South China Morning Post about bottled fresh air from New Zealand being sold in China. The article also includes a short YouTube video about this story.
Matt Haig, author of Brand Failures, claims that there is only a 1 in 10 chance of a product becoming a long-term success.
ATL Activity 2 - The market for football boots
Adidas is the world's leading football brand. The German sports group has extended its sponsorship of the FIFA World Cup until 2030. With a partner, discuss the main factors that affect the high demand for Adidas football boots (soccer boots) - try to come up with at least five factors.
Read more about the (sponsorship) partnership between Adidas and the FIFA World Cup here.
Click the hyperlinks below to access the InThinking resources for this particular section of the IB Business Management syllabus.
- The product life cycle (AO4)
- The PLC & the marketing mix (AO2)
- Extension strategies (AO3)
- Boston Consulting Group (BCG) matrix (AO3)
- Aspects of branding (AO2)
- The importance of branding (AO3)
- The importance of packaging (AO3)
- A-Z slogans and brands quiz
- Product - Question bank (dynamic quiz questions to help students review this topic)
- Glossary of key terms
Return to the Unit 4.5 Place homepage
Return to the Unit 4.5 The four Ps homepage