The IB has stipulated several suggested topics for Part 2, which you can find on pages 19-20 of the Language A: Language and Literature guide. You may want to cover a few of them in depth or more of them in passing. For guidance on selecting texts, see the 'selecting texts' page in the section on 'the course'.
The following pages provide examples of lessons on Part 2 'topics'. They explore the relationship between medium and message. They help you achieve the learning outcomes for Part 2. See the menu on the left for lessons on each topic.
- Textual bias (news reporting, sports coverage)
- Stereotypes (gender, ethnicity)
- Popular culture (comics, soap operas)
- Language and presentation of speeches and campaigns (elections, lobbying)
- Language and the state (public information, legislation)
- Media institutions (television channels, internet search engines)
- Role of editing (news bulletins, websites)
- Use of persuasive language (advertising, appeals)
Arts and entertainment (radio and television drama, documentaries)