6.1 The Atmosphere as a System - Review
This activity is a review of the concepts around thinking about the atmosphere as a system. It provides an opportunity to use systems thinking.
Read the introduction to the atmosphere 6.1 The Atmosphere as a System and check your understanding with these questions.
- Draw a system diagram representing the earth's atmosphere. Show inputs, outputs and what is present inside the system (stores). Use a different colour to represent flows which are largely effected by human activity.
- List the layers of the atmosphere from nearest the Earth's surface outwards.
- Identify the gases present in the atmosphere.
- In which layer of the atmosphere do you find "bad ozone" and which layer do you find "good ozone"?
- Why is the greenhouse effect important?
- Outline a negative feedback loop involving climate and albedo.
- Outline a positive feedback loop involving climate and albedo.