Diaspora and their Influence on Cultural Diversity
- Enquiry Question
- Starter Activity_Diaspora_Processes and Places
- Student Activity_Cultural Influence of Chinese Diaspora_Processes and Places
- Student Activity_Diaspora_Processes and Places
- Student Activity_ Moroccan Diapora Map_Processes and Places
- Student Activity_Diaspora and Cultural Identity and Diversity_Processes and Places
- Student Activity_Morrocan Cultural Influence in Europe_Processes and Places
- Student Activity_From Banlieu with Love_Processes and Places
- Student Activity_Moroccan Diaspora and Diversity and Cultural Identity in France_Places, Processes and Power
- Student Activity_ No go zones for Women-Paris Suburbs_Places, Processes and Power
- Student Activity_Mollenbeek, Moroccans, Cultural Integration and Radicalization_Places, Processes and Power
- Student Assessment - Essay Question - Places Processes and Spatial Interactions
This page firstly looks at the global trend in diaspora through a number of maps and graphics. Students are introduced to some well known diasporas and they recap the cultural influence of Chinese through their resources in the global superpowers lesson. Following a short text on the types and causes of diaspora, students discuss their influence on cultural diversity and identity. Following this students develop a case study on the Moroccan/North African diaspora. In addition to looking at their global influence, regional and local impacts are developed through a number of focused videos based on the Banlieue in Paris and Mollenbeek in Brussels. Issues such as diversity, identity, cultural integration and radicalization all emerge.
Lesson Time: 1 Hour
- To undertstand the influence of diaspora on cultural identity through a number of examples
- To describe and explain the influence of Moroccan diaspora at both the global and local scale
Study the following maps and graphics and write a definition of diaspora and a description of the main patterns of diaspora.
Consider the cultural influence of Chinese diaspora at both the global scale and local scale
Refer back to your work on China in the opening lesson of Global Interactions. How does the Chinese diaspora infleunce cultural identity at the global and local scale?
Read the following short text on types of diaspora
Diaspora has it routes originally from the dispersal of the Jewish population from Palestine in 70CE. It is now commonly used to refer to any diaspora, of which there are many examples. Some important historical diasporas include the African diaspora as a onsequence of slavery, colonial disaporas such as European settling African countries and Irish migrants to the UK and US. There are examples of contemporary forced diaspora, such the Rwandan diaspora, resulting from the genocide of 1997 and Syrians today. There is also a huge range of economic diaspora, such Bengladeshi labourers, Indian, Chinese and Japanese business workers and finally cultural diasporas such as the migrants of African heritage from the Carribean or Indian migrants due to colonial relationships with Britain. These migrants all play an important role in the diversity and cultural identity of the countries they now call home.
Study the following gallery of examples of how different diaspora infleunce diversity and cultural identity
Study the following map (clickable) and note down on your worksheet the spatial distribution of Moroccan diaspora
Study the following gallery of images that reflect diaspora and cultural identity and diversity frm the US News Best Country Ranking
- What factors appear most important to cultural influence?
- What problems do you see with this type of ranking?
Watch the following Boris Johnson video examining the Arab influence in Spain
- What examples of Arab influence in Spain are highlighted?
- Discuss why some Spanish people seem to ignore the Arab influence on their cultural identity
- What other Moroccan influences are to be found in Europe?
Watch the following video clip and identify ways that the culture of the Banlieue is influencing the culture of Paris
Student Activity_Moroccan Diaspora and Diversity and Cultural Identity in France_Places, Processes and Power
Study the graphs in gallery and comment on how they reflect the diversity and cultural identity of France
Watch the following video and comment on the human processes allowing this type of cultural influence in Paris
Student Activity_Mollenbeek, Moroccans, Cultural Integration and Radicalization_Places, Processes and Power
Watch the final news item on the Brussels commune, Mollenbeek and answer the following questions:
- Describe the Moroccan influence on the cultural landscape of Mollenbeek
- Describe the problems of integration and diversity that Belgium is struggling with
Investigate the cultural and religious services and functions in a local town or city. Develop this as a local case study.
Using examples from both the local and global scale, examine the cultural influence of one global diaspora on cultural diversity (12)
- Examine requires full development of the ways a diaspora has cultural influence at both the global and local scale
- Appropriate balance between local and global evidence should be apparent alongside detailed knowledge and understanding
- A critical insight into the forces enabling or limiting cultural influence should be developed and supported by evidence
- The conclusion should be consistent with the argument and evidence developed in the essay and sharply focused on the question