- Enquiry Question
- Starter Activity_Corporate Tax Avoidance in the UK_Places, Processes and Power
- Student Activity_ Tax Avoidance in the UK_Places, Processes, Spatial Interactions and Power
This provocatively titles page address the problem of TNC Tax avoidance and capital flight. It also covers the issue of tax avoidance schemes by wealthy individuals. The lesson begins with two graphics on tax avoidance as well an BBC news report addressing the reasons for tax avoidance and its impact. Students then complete a mapping activity on tax losses using the data within a Daily Mail news report. Students then go on to look at the spatial pattern of tax avoidance at the global scale by analyzing a shocking infographic map on showing the vast scale of capital flight from developing countries. The lesson briefly develops the problem of wealthy individuals and tax avoidance from celebrities, featuring a comical analysis from David Mitchell.
Lesson Time: 1 Hour
- To understand how TNCs repatriate wealth away from nation states?
- To understand the spatial flows of tax avoidance and capital flight by wealthy individuals
Study the following two graphs and describe the scale of tax avoidance in the UK
Watch the following video from the BBC on corporation tax avoidance in the UK. Make notes on
- The amount of tax avoided
- The reasons for it
- Its impact on the UK