13: Europe and the First World War
This topic focuses on the breakdown of diplomacy in Europe that led to July Crisis and the outbreak of the First World War, the reasons for the Allied victory and the impact of this devastating war on the civilians of Europe. For those of you who have chosen the First World War as a case study for the 20th Century Wars topic for Paper 2, there will be plenty of overlap here and you can access the materials for the First World War in the Paper 2 section of the website through this link: Case study: The First World War.
However as the nature of Paper 3 is different to that of Paper 2 in its demand for more detail and in its essay style, there are extra ATL for this topic on the left as well as specific Paper 3 style essay exercises and sample essays.
What does this topic cover?
Specifically you will need to cover the following in the teaching of this unit:
- Events after 1871 in Europe which led to shift in the balance of power and the creation of the Triple Entente and Triple Alliance.
- The domestic and international factors that influenced the foreign policy of Kaiser Wilhelm II. The reaction of Britain, France, Russian and Austria Hungary to the Kaiser's actions
- The factors that caused tension in Europe before 1914 and the July crisis
- The impact of the war on the civilians of two European countries
- The reasons for the defeat of Germany
On this page you will find ATL on the causes and impact of the First World War. These are in addition to ATL which can be found on the case study of the First World War for Paper 2 here.
Case Study: The First World War. The First World War is a cross-regional case study. It is also an example of a war where there is total mobilisation of human and economic resources in some of the belligerent...
This page contains ATL to improve essay writing for this topic in Paper 3 as well as specific essay frames for Paper 3 style essays.Task OneATL: Thinking and communication skills
On this page you will find some suggestions and links to videos that can be used as well as teacher notes with suggestions as to how the videos can be used with students. Questions for some of the videos...
On this page we have included some extra websites, reading, fiction and films that are useful for pursuing this topic further.There are some excellent resources on line for investigating the First World...