1. Key features of this site
This IB history site is designed to help you and your students achieve success in the IB History Diploma programme.
How will it do this?
To help you create a successful History Diploma course we:
- provide guidance on what is required for each part of the examination
- identify the skills students need for each examination paper
- give you ideas for putting a curriculum together from the wide range of topics and time periods available
To help you teach the wide range of history topics we aim to:
- identify the key themes, concepts and questions that need to be addressed within each topic
- provide teaching ideas and worksheets
- suggest resources
- provide links to useful videos and give teaching ideas for using these videos in the classroom
To help students develop the skills they need for the exam we:
- give suggestions as to how you can help students improve their source work and essay writing skills
- include activities that help students develop these skills
- provide source papers for Paper 1 and essay questions and essay frames for Papers 2 & 3
- give examples of exemplar work with examiner comments
In addition we also have a section for students setting out the core skills they need for studying IB History and also revision tips: Getting started: Students
Why have we focused on ATL within each topic?
Approaches to Learning (ATL) are a key focus of the site. ATL run through the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) and the Diploma Programme. They cover thinking, social, communication, self-management and research skills. They thus encompass the key values that underpin an IB education.
We have aimed to include a wide variety of ATL via a range of different activities: source work, discussion, role play, formal debate, note taking. Also see this page: 3. Integrating ATL
How is this site organised?
- Students have access to all ATL pages and essay activity pages so that they can work through the activities on their own. You can also give them access to the video pages if you want them to watch videos independently. (See Student access to this site ). We have kept the pages which have teacher guidance and marked exemplars as teacher only pages.
- The very wide choice of topics in the History IB Diploma programme means that we will continuously be working on new topics; please contact us with suggestions of topics that you would like to see included!
- In addition, we upload activities on history related events in the news which can provide a focus for discussion in either history or in TOK lessons. These can be found here: History/TOK in the news