Topic 10: Emergence of the Americas in global affairs (1880–1929)
This topic focuses on the changing role of the Americas in global affairs between 1880 and 1929.
This topic is currently being developed; we hope to finish in the next few weeks!
Specifically this topic covers:
- The expansionist policies of the US after 1890 and reasons for these policies
- The causes and effects of the Spanish - American War
- Impact of US foreign policies
- US and the First World War: reasons for neutrality and then involvement, Wilson's involvement in the peace process and response to this within the US, the War's impact on the US' influence in the Americas
- Involvement of one country in the Americas in the First World War
- Economic, political and social impact of the First World War on any two countries in the Americas
When the First World War started in Europe, the United States adopted a policy of neutrality. However by 1917, various factors had come together to bring the US to a point where, by April of that year,...
Wilson had very clear views as to how peace should be reached in Europe and what ideals should underpin any peace treaty. However the Versailles Settlement ultimately fell short of Wilson's ideals, and...
Although the US did not join the League of Nations or the Permanent Court of Justice after the First World War, it did not return to its pre-war policy of isolation. Although there was strong support...