Digital technologies for collaborative learning
Professional Inquiry and Collaborative Learning lie at the heart of developing and sustaining a professional learning community.
This digital toolkit provides facilitated activities that encourage knowledge sharing and knowledge management amongst all stakeholders in your school community. It encourages all staff (and students) to become part of a global learning community - the IB World (and beyond).
Try embedding use of some of these technologies when working with colleagues in staff meetings and professional development workshops. Some staff will be digital immigrants' and may need support to try some of these out in a safe environment before using them with their students, whom Marc Prenksy has referred to as 'digital natives'.
- enhance communication, collaboration and creativity
- promote professional inquiry and critical thinking
- promote authentic and contextualized learning, especially beyond the walls of your own school – an ideal way of considering case studies
- build on individual learning styles through opportunities to work at your rate and in your own way
- encourage reflective practice
- develop professional learning networks – for both teachers and students alike
- maximize opportunities for globally-connected learning
- develop international mindedness through global connectivity, exposing the learner to multiple perspectives