Multiple Choice Questions
These multiple choice quizzes are designed to help students check their understanding of each section of the course.
They are arranged for biological topics at the moment rather than by syllabus section.
They are marked at the click of a button for instant student feedback & correct answers.
Multiple choice questions
Paper 1 of the exam is composed entirely of multiple choice questions.
Each question has 4 answer choices- A, B, C or D
One answer in each question is the correct answer but watch out for the "distracter". This is an answer which is partly right.
A good technique for difficult multi-choice questions is to mark the obviously wrong answers on the the question paper and then choose the best answer from the choice remaining.
Advice to students
These multiple choice questions are self-marking questions
You can click on 'check' at any time to see whether you have the answer correct.
'Check' also displays a helpful note written by an examiner. Great for revision.
Thoroughly revising like this will give you confidence for paper one in the final IB exam.
- Review your lesson notes before attempting the questions.
- Attempt the questions.
- Note down the correct answers for the questions which you got wrong.
- Review these sections of your notes.
- Check your notes are correct using a text book.
- Attempt the questions a second time.
- Intro to Cells quiz 1.1 & Cells quiz
- Ultrastructure of cells quiz 1.2
- Membrane structure & function quiz 1.3 & 1.4 & Membrane quiz
- Origin of cells 1.5
- Cell division quiz 1.6 & Mitosis quiz
- Molecules to metabolism quiz 2.1
- Water quiz 2.2
- Carbohydrates and lipids quiz 2.3
- Proteins quiz 2.4 & Proteins SL Quiz
- DNA structure SL quiz
- DNA and RNA structure quiz 2.6
- DNA replication, transcription and translation quiz 2.7
- Respiration SL quiz 2.8
- Photosynthesis SL Quiz
- Genes SL quiz 3.1
- Chromosomes 3.2
- Meiosis SL quiz
- Genetics SL quiz
- Genetic engineering quiz
- Genetics HL quiz
- Energy flow in ecosystems quiz 4.2
- Carbon cycle quiz 4.3
- Greenhouse effect quiz
- Population Quiz
- Evolution - natural selection quiz 5.1 & 5.2
- Evolution - animal classification 5.3
- Evolution - cladograms 5.4
- Human digestion and absorption quiz 6.1
- Humans - digestion and absorption workout
- Humans - blood system quiz 6.2
- Human defence against disease quiz 6.3
- Human gas exchange quiz 6.4
- Neurones and synapses quiz 6.5
- DNA transcription quiz HL 7.2
- mRNA translation quiz HL 7.3
- Enzymes & metabolism HL quiz 8.1
- Photosynthesis HL quiz 8.3
- Plant structure quiz
- Plants - transport in xylem 9.1
- Plants - transport in phloem 9.2
- Plant growth 9.3
- Meiosis HL quiz 10.1
- Gene pools and speciation HL quiz 10.3
- Defence - monclonal antibodies 11.1
- Kidney & osmoregulation HL quiz 11.3
- Sexual reproduction quiz HL 11.4
Note: Numbered question sets are the most up to date.
Gradually new quizzes will appear for the gaps, e.g. topic 2.5 and 3.3