Multigovernmental Organisations (MGOs) influence on Global Interations
- Enquiry Question
- Starter Activity_Name this Map_Places and Spatial Interactions
- Student Activity_Match the Mission Statement to the Correct MGO_ Processes and Power
- Student Activity_Does the UN have a role today?_Processes and Power
- Student Activity_Looking Deeper at the Role of the UN_Processes and Power
- Student Activity_MGOs and Different Types of Economic Integration_Places, Power and Spatial Interaction
- Student Activity_ NAFTA Trade in Numbers_Places, Power and Spatial Interaction
- Student Activity_The World Bank_ and International Monetary Fund (IMF)_Neoliberal Policies_Places, Power and Spatial Interactions
- Student Activity_ The Role of Free Trade Zones_Places, Procsesses and Spatial Interactions
- Student Activity_Lagos Free Trade Zone_Places, Processes and Power
This page introduces Multigovernmental Organisations with a fun map and logo starter. The page then provides a broad range of activities based on the relevance and role for economic integration in different MGOs, including the UN, NAFTA, The World Bank and the International Monetary Fund as well as the World Trade Organisation and the economic policy of neoliberalism. It explores the role of Free Trade Zones, through the Lagos Free zone and presents the role of MGOs and Free Trade Zones in the context of the question, who is most likely to benefit, the host country or the global corporations?
Lesson Time: 1 Hour
- To understand the role of MGOs in terms of influencing globalization
- To describe the influence these MGOs have on globalization
Check your idea bleow in the hidden box
Complete this quick gap fill quiz
Watch the first minute of Donald Trump's speech at the UN Conference in 2017
Discuss the importance of the UN in our contemporary global society
Using the worksheet below based on the UN's 70 ways it works for a better world, identify ways the UN and its affiliated groups work to improve the global community.
Alternatively use the linked UN site and under each heading identify what you consider to be the two or three most important ways under each heading the UN influences the global community.
Student Activity_MGOs and Different Types of Economic Integration_Places, Power and Spatial Interaction
Watch the following video on the different types of economic integration within MGOs and make notes on the worksheet provided
Study the graph and using data describe the importance of the NAFTA agreement to Canada, Mexico and the USA in terms of the extent to which NAFTA improves economic integration in the region
Source: The Economist
Student Activity_The World Bank_ and International Monetary Fund (IMF)_Neoliberal Policies_Places, Power and Spatial Interactions
Watch the 5 minute crop from the Documentary Superpower and IMF, World Bank and WTO organisations and answer the following questions
- Describe which countries have the largest control over the IMF and World Bank
- Describe the type of conditions that tend to come with the arranged loans from the IMF and World Bank
The following video of Noam Chomsky explains the backround to Neoliberalism
Study the diagram of the benefits that Free Trade Zone status brings to Dubai.
- Why do you think Countries invest in free trade zones?
- Who benefits from Free Trade Zones?
- How does the country and its people benefit from Free Trade Zones?