MCQs: Wave properties
- The animation shows a longitudinal wave
The amplitude of the wave is
A. 2 cm
B. 1 cm
C. 2 mm
D. 1 mm
The amplitude is the furthest the particles are displaced from their equilibrium position. The particles move about 4mm from left to right so the amplitude is about 2mm.
- The frequency of the wave in question 9 is 1 Hz.
The speed of the wave is
A. 1 cms-1
B. 2 cms-1
C. 0.5 cm-1
D. 0.1 cm-1
from the scale the wvelength is 1cm so v = 1 x 1 = 1cms-1
- An observer watches water waves passing a stationary boat causing it to move up and down. The time for one complete cycle of this motion is 10s and the distance from top to bottom is 2m. If the wavelength of the waves is 5m their velocity is
A. 20 ms-1
B. 0.5 ms-1
C. 0.2 ms-1
D. 5 ms-1
f = 1/T = 1/10
v = fλ = 0.1 x 5 = 0.5 ms-1
- It is possible to break a wine glass by singing very loudly at the right note.
This phenomenon is called
The glass breaks when the sound is the same frequency as the natural frequency of the glass, this is resonance.
- The velocity of sound is 340 ms-1. The wavelength of a sound with frequency 200 Hz is
A. 0.6 m
B. 1.2 m
C. 1.7 m
D. 2.0 m
v = fλ
λ = v/f = 340/200 = 1.7 m
- The diagram shows two wave pulses travelling along a rope.
When the wave pulses meet they will
A. reflect off each other.
B. cancel each other out completely.
C. cancel each other but not completely.
D. add together.
- The wave pulse shown below is travelling towards the end of the rope.
After meeting the end the wave will
B. reflect with opposite displacement.
C. reflect with the same displacement.
D. refect with larger amplitude.
- The animation shows a simulation of a wave diffracting.
If the opening is made smaller the wave will
A. spread out more.
B. spread out less.
C. have lower velocity.
D. have shorter wavelength.
The diffracting angle increases as the slit is made smaller.
- The animation below shows a wave refracting
The wave changes direction because of
A. an increase in frequency.
B. a decrease in frequency.
C. an increase in speed.
D. a decrease in speed.
The second medium is more dense so slows down the wave.
- The animation shows a simulation of a wave.
The animation is an example of
The wave is reflecting off a wall.