Latest updates

Lewis acids & bases questions12 December 2018

1. Boron trifluoride, BF3, can react with potassium fluoride to form the salt potassium tetrafluoroborate, KBF4.Explain why this can be considered an acid-base reaction and deduce the shapes of both boron... more

Acid deposition questions11 December 2018

1. Carbon dioxide is naturally present in rain water as carbonic acid.(a) Explain why pure rain water containing dissolved carbon dioxide cannot have a pH lower than 5.6(b) How much more acidic than rain... more

Strong & weak acid & bases questions9 December 2018

1. (a) Explain why 25.0 cm3 of 1.00 x 10-2 mol dm-3 hydrochloric acid solution, HCl(aq), has a lower pH value than 25.0 cm3 of 1.00 x 10-2 mol dm-3ethanoic acid solution, CH3COOH(aq).(b) When an acid... more

pH scale questions7 December 2018

1. 10.0 cm3 of a solution of 0.100 mol dm-3 hydrochloric acid, HCl(aq), has a pH of 1.(a) Deduce the pH of the resulting solution if 90.0 cm3 of distilled are mixed with the above solution. more

Properties of acids & bases questions 6 December 2018

1. Give the equation for the reaction between dilute hydrochloric acid, HCl(aq), and:(a) potassium hydroxide solution, KOH(aq).(b) ammonia, NH3(aq).(c) copper(II) oxide, CuO(s). more

Theories of acids & bases questions 4 December 2018

1. Using the reactions between water and ammonia and water and hydrogen chloride explain why water can be considered as both a Brønsted-Lowry acid and a Brønsted-Lowry base. In each case give the acid... more

Essential resources1 December 2018

This whole website is one big resource and I have also included separate pages on specific resources elsewhere. However to get started there are several essential resources that you at least need to consider.... more

Grade boundaries1 December 2018

It can be helpful to have a rule of thumb idea as to where the boundaries lie - particularly for giving your predicted grades. It can only be a rough rule as the boundaries do change each year and from... more

Essential Facts1 December 2018

The external assessment is made up of three separate examination papers. These make up 80% of the final mark upon which the student’s IB chemistry grade is based. The remaining 20% comes from the internally... more

Submitting the samples for moderationfree29 November 2018

Once you have entered your marks out of 24 for all your Diploma chemistry students (both Higher Level and Standard Level) on IBIS you will be notified which students’ work needs to be uploaded electronically... more