InThinking Subject Sites
Supporting IB educators
- Comprehensive help & advice on teaching the IB diploma.
- Written by experts with vast subject knowledge.
- Innovative ideas on ATL & pedagogy.
- Detailed guidance on all aspects of assessment.
Developing great materials
- More than 7 million words across 17 sites.
- Masses of ready-to-go resources for the classroom.
- Dynamic links to current affairs & real world issues.
- Updates every week 52 weeks a year.
Integrating student access
- Give your students direct access to relevant site pages.
- Single student login for all of your school’s subscriptions.
- Create reading, writing, discussion, and quiz assignments.
- Monitor student progress & collate in online gradebook.
Meeting schools' needs
- Global reach with more than 50,000 users worldwide.
- Use our materials to create compelling unit plans.
- Save time & effort which you can reinvest elsewhere.
- Consistently good feedback from subscribers.
See what users are saying about our Subject Sites:
Find out more about our Student Access feature:
If you are interested in Jo Thomas, Keely Rogers & Safaruk Chowdhury visiting your school to work with teachers and/or students, please contact us.
The vacation home exchange service for the IB community.
Feel at home when you travel the world.
The negotiations which concluded with the Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 marked the first time in European history that countries came together (at a congress) to resolve a number of different disputes in the hope of reaching a general settlement and lasting peace. In this sense Westphalia was the fore-runner of the Treaty of Vienna (1815) and the Treaty of Versailles (1919). Westphalia led to a longer...
9 November is the 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall - one of the iconic events of the late 20th Century through its dramatic nature and its symbolism, signifying the collapse of communist control and the end of the Cold War.The media is currently full of great clips and stories which are helpful to history students as well as useful for general tutor lessons or assemblies.There are some...
The years 1931 to 1937 saw Japan turn away from participating in international treaties and organisations, and instead become increasingly isolated as, led by the Japanese military, it pursued an aggressive policy in China to secure Manchuria. After 1938, international opposition to Japan's actions grew after the government signed an agreement with fascist powers in Europe and moved to establish...
The Thirty Years' War saw Europe experiencing 'total war' for the first time; armies grew rapidly and had to be financed in new ways while populations suffered from the ravages of war on a much larger scale than ever before. Some historians also argue that the war marked a significant change in military tactics and technology.Sébastien Vrancx, The looting of Wommelgem (1625–1630)Guiding...
The growth of Japanese nationalism and militarism after 1931 and the consequent expansion of Japan into East Asia led to war with China and conflict with the West. This was to culminate in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour in 1941 - an event that transformed the European war into a global war.The Video Road to War: Japan gives an excellent overview of the events leading up to Pearl Harbour and...
Case Study: Mao ZedongThe ATL on this page are for students to investigate the key themes connected with Mao's rise and consolidation of power and the nature of his rule.The key details of Mao's rule are covered under Topic 14: The People's Republic of China (1949 - 2005). The aim of the ATL here and the essay planning (see left hand side) is to pull together the key events of his rule...
Theme 1: Rivalry, Mistrust and AccordTheme 1 of this Topic covers the key developments in the Cold War from 1945 through to 1989. This page covers events from 1945 to late 1950s.The second part of Theme 1 from the 1960s to 1989 is here: 1.2 Theme 1 - Rivalry, Mistrust and Accord (ATL) Essay planning activities and essay frames for Theme 1 can be found here: 1. Rivalry, mistrust and accord: essay writing...
Theme 3: Cold War crisesThis theme involves studying Cold War crises. A crisis is considered to be an event when there was a clear escalation of tension between the superpowersStudents need to be able to examine and compare the causes, impact and significance of two Cold War crises from two different regions.On this page we have ATL for three crises from two regions. However there are other crises...
Nazi Germany (1933 - 1939)Here are some different activities that you can do for this part of Section 14 on Weimar Germany. There is a mixture of starter activities on this page plus source activities, summary activities, analytical activities, individual work and team work that you can also downloadVideos and teaching ideas for videos are covered on separate pages; see left hand side of this page.Guiding...
The ATL on this page deal with the role of Hitler and Germany in increasing international tension in the 1930s and ultimately forcing Britain and France to declare war in September 1939.Guiding QuestionsWhat was the impact of the First World War on Hitler's foreign policy aims?How did Hitler challenge the post-war settlement? Was he an opportunist?What was the international response to Hitler's...
The website is an excellent resource for teachers to enhance their own understanding and provide stimulating resources and guidance for students. The History pages are very well structured, easy to access and with a clear focus on the core content and...
My students have found the InThinking History site to be a really valuable learning tool, full of excellent advice about how to master the IB. As a teacher I regularly use the resources as part of my lessons and for homework. The InThinking site team...
I have been teaching History for almost 29 years and IB for 5 years - and your materials are absolutely some of the best I have ever used - all located in one place; contemporary as well as student-focused - covering the objectives in a very thorough...
7 November 2019
9 November is the 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall - one of the iconic events of the late 20th Century through its dramatic nature... more
23 October 2019
We are pleased to announce that two new units have been started on the site.For Paper 3, Asia and Oceania region, we are now adding Topic 07;... more
13 Nov Abel Duarte
2. First World War: Practices (ATL)Thanks!! I had issues with my flash player... ok mow
8 Nov Jo Thomas
2. First World War: Practices (ATL)Hi Abel Thanks for that - have updated the video link. The BBC animated map is working OK for me - though had to download Adobeflash. I wonder why you can't access it - but I've also provided a link to another animated map overview. Jo
8 Nov Abel Duarte
2. First World War: Practices (ATL)HI, The links seem to be down: BBC Animated map and Q2, Task 1 Youtube video... Thanks
6 Nov Jo Thomas
6. Treatment of Japanese citizens in the AmericasHi Susan - thanks for pointing out the typo - sorted!
6 Nov Susan Elledge
6. Treatment of Japanese citizens in the AmericasIn regards to Japanese role in the military, it should be the 442nd not 42nd.
6 Nov Jo Thomas
5. PS3: Full source papers Case Study 1Hi The link has been sorted now Jo
6 Nov Vivek Biswakarma
5. PS3: Full source papers Case Study 1Hey Daniel, I too got the same QP when I hit the mark scheme .
6 Nov Daniel Aldridge
5. PS3: Full source papers Case Study 1Mark Scheme link for the 2nd sample test is incorrect. It just gives you another copy of the test.
4 Nov Jo Thomas
14: European states in the inter-war years (1918–1939)Hi Madikar Thanks for the feedback! I've e-mailed you directly re your question Jo
4 Nov Jo Thomas
1. Mao's consolidation of power and rule (1949 - 1976) (ATL)Hi Antoinette - the internal link to the graded essay is working OK for me - try again - the link is here:
4 Nov Madiha Iftikhar
14: European states in the inter-war years (1918–1939)Hi Jo, thank you for the amazing work and resources that you and your team have created to help DP History teachers. For Paper 2 topics (11 & 12), I used the Pearson books along with ATT and ATL ideas from this website. However for Paper 3...
4 Nov Antoinette Valente
1. Mao's consolidation of power and rule (1949 - 1976) (ATL)Hi Jo - the link to the essay under exercise one does not seem to work. Thanks
The Move to Global War (Paper 1), by Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by OUP
This text-book covers all aspects of the Move to Global War prescribed subject for Paper 1. Not only are the key themes explored, we also provide many source exercises including a full Paper 1 at the end of each chapter.
The Cold War: Superpower Tensions and Rivalries (Paper 2) by Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by Pearson
This text-book comprehensively covers the key themes for the Paper 2 Cold War topic. Alongside the content, we provide essay frames and guidance on essay writing skills.
Causes and Effects of 20th Century Wars (Paper 2), Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by Pearson
This text-book comprehensively covers the content and skills that you need to be able to write essays on the 20th Century Wars topic for Paper 2 of the IB History examination. We cover a range of wars and focus on how these can be used as case studies to answer comparative style essay questions.
European States in the Interwar years (Paper 3) by Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by Pearson
This text-book focuses on Topic 14 of the European region for IB Paper 3, The Interwar Years . We cover Germany, Italy and Spain as well as the Soviet Union, focusing not only on the content but the skills needed to write essays for Paper 3.