InThinking Subject Sites
Join thousands of IB teachers worldwide and take advantage of our expert advice and ready-to-go resources.
Disclaimer: InThinking subject sites are neither endorsed by nor connected with the International Baccalaureate Organisation.
If you are interested in Jo Thomas, Keely Rogers & Safaruk Chowdhury visiting your school to work with teachers and/or students, please contact us.
The vacation home exchange service for the IB community.
Feel at home when you travel the world.
This year's Reith Lectures focus on war and society. Margaret MacMillan provides a historical perspective on war from the view of combatants, civilians and peacemakers. The 100 year anniversary of Nelson Mandela's death also brings some interesting articles and discussions on his life and contribution to today's South Africa.The Reith Lectures: 'War and Humanity'Each year the BBC commissions...
This page contains a variety of essay writing exercises and essay plans for this topic.Task One: Essay planningIn pairs plan the following essays:Evaluate the impact of Yuan Shi Kai's rule on ChinaUse your planning grid on the ATL page 1. Rise of national identity in China to help you plan this essay. Your speeches when you put Yuan on trial should also help you plan this essay. Task Two: Essay planningIn...
This page focuses on the conquest of Mexico and Peru and the creation of Spain's Empire in Latin America.There is a mixture of starter activities on this page plus source practice, summary activities, analytical activities, individual work and team work.We have also included key content for this topic to help with the activities.Guiding questions:What were the main political, economic and religious...
This page focuses on the end of Muslim rule in Spain: the reasons for, and the consequences of, this key historical event. There is a mixture of starter activities on this page plus source practice, summary activities, analytical activities, individual work and team work.We have also included key content for this topic to help with the activities.Guiding questions:What was the political, social and...
Prescribed Subject 3: The Move to Global WarThis topic covers the causes of World War Two both in Europe and in Asia. An outline of the course is given below but the full details can be found on the OCC here.It is important that you read the IB introduction to this topic carefully as well as the prescribed content. This topic examines how the actions of three countries in two different regions contributed...
Theme 1: Rivalry, Mistrust and AccordHere are some different activities that you can do for this theme within the topic of the Cold War. There is a mixture of source activities, summary activities, analytical activities, tasks to develop essay writing, individual and team work.The second part of Theme 1 is here: 1.2 Theme 1 - Rivalry, Mistrust and Accord (ATL) Videos and teaching ideas for videos...
Here are some different activities that you can do for this unit. There is a mixture of starter activities on this page plus source activities, summary activities, analytical activities, individual work and team work that you can also download.
Videos and teaching ideas for videos are covered on separate pages; see 2. German and Italian expansion: Videos and activities
Case Study: The First World WarThe First World War is a cross-regional case study. It is also an example of a war where there is total mobilisation of human and economic resources in some of the belligerent states.We have divided up the ATL on The First World War so that there are separate pages for the causes, practices and effects of the warClick on the menu on the left for these pages, along with...
The page contains ATL to help students understand the causes, practices and effects of The First World War.For students studying this topic for Paper 3, more detail on the causes of the First World War can be found at ATL: Europe and the First World War Guiding questionsCauses:How important were long-term factors in causing the First World War?How important were short-term factors in causing the First...
Paper 1 is a source paper in which students must answer four questions on four sources which are all related to one of the prescribed subjects. This page gives an overview of what is required; see Guidelines for answering Paper 1 questions to get more information on what is expected for the different types of question and for suggestions on how to help students develop their source skills.What is...
Finally an InThinking site for IB History – and what a great one! Full of superb teaching ideas, materials and practical advice. Both my students and myself have benefited immensely from the wealth of guidance and inspiration on the site. Highly...
The website is an excellent resource for teachers to enhance their own understanding and provide stimulating resources and guidance for students. The History pages are very well structured, easy to access and with a clear focus on the core content and...
My students have found the InThinking History site to be a really valuable learning tool, full of excellent advice about how to master the IB. As a teacher I regularly use the resources as part of my lessons and for homework. The InThinking site team...
19 July 2018
This year's Reith Lectures focus on war and society. Margaret MacMillan provides a historical perspective on war from the view of combatants,... more
12 June 2018
What can we learn from a photo? Also, the significance of Bobby Kennedy's assassination and an update on new materials to the site. more
10 May 2018
Update on changes to the IB History course, commemorating Marx and additions to the site!The IB have made some minor changes to the IB history... more
12 Jul Jo Thomas
2. Source work activitiesHi Sarah - Thanks for the suggestion - I've added feedback now - you can click on the eye beneath the slide!
12 Jul Sarah Murray
2. Source work activitiesCan you provide feedback as to why some of the answers are not accepted by examiners for qu 2?
22 Jun Emil Hanssen
3. IA: Graded student examplesIt's working perfectly! Thank you Jo!
21 Jun Jo Thomas
3. IA: Graded student examplesHi Emil I've changed it so there is now one IA per page as I think there was an issue with going over the word count! So you should be able to see it Ok now :)
21 Jun Emil Hanssen
3. IA: Graded student examplesHey Jo! Is it possible to get the entire IA about Midway? The "eye" seems to be missing some of the investigation and the reflection section! Cheers! :)
12 Jun Jo Thomas
5. PS4 Rights and Protest: Full source papersHi Damian - the link is now fixed!! Thanks
12 Jun Damian Kell
5. PS4 Rights and Protest: Full source papersHi there. I can't seem to download the examiner's comments to Sharpeville Paper (the last link on the page). There may be a glitch. Is there any other way to access them? Many thanks.
10 Jun Jo Thomas
5. PS3 Move to Global War: Full source papersHi Steve Yes, sorry it should say source A not source C - have changed. I think that the key aspect of the limitation here is that it is a speech to motivate the generals at a moment of crisis and as such could be exaggerated in terms of Hitler's...
10 Jun Steve Lawrence
5. PS3 Move to Global War: Full source papersI think that for Hitler's motivations, question 1a is mentioning the wrong source. The answers here look like source A, not source C. Also for the OPCVL, I can't understand how these are 'limitations'. I think those answers (as exemplars) should...
27 Apr Jo Thomas
7. The Cold War: QuizzesHi Matthew - answers are now there!
27 Apr Matthew Tomich
7. The Cold War: QuizzesFor quick reference, do you have the answers to the other two quizzes? Thank you!
11 Apr Jo Thomas
4. PS5 Conflict and Intervention: Full source papersHi Jason - Yes, it should be for Source C - have changed it on the paper - thanks for spotting it!