InThinking Subject Sites
Supporting IB educators
- Comprehensive help & advice on teaching the IB diploma.
- Written by experts with vast subject knowledge.
- Innovative ideas on ATL & pedagogy.
- Detailed guidance on all aspects of assessment.
Developing great materials
- More than 7 million words across 17 sites.
- Masses of ready-to-go resources for the classroom.
- Dynamic links to current affairs & real world issues.
- Updates every week 52 weeks a year.
Integrating student access
- Give your students direct access to relevant site pages.
- Single student login for all of your school’s subscriptions.
- Create reading, writing, discussion, and quiz assignments.
- Monitor student progress & collate in online gradebook.
Meeting schools' needs
- Global reach with more than 50,000 users worldwide.
- Use our materials to create compelling unit plans.
- Save time & effort which you can reinvest elsewhere.
- Consistently good feedback from subscribers.
For information about pricing, click here.
If you are interested in Jo Thomas, Keely Rogers & Safaruk Chowdhury visiting your school to work with teachers and/or students, please contact us.
The vacation home exchange service for the IB community.
Feel at home when you travel the world.
Cuba works well as an example of a country whose economic, political, social and foreign policies were impacted by Cold War superpower rivalry.Castro's rise to power and rule is covered in more detail on these pages: Case Study: Cuban Civil War (ATL) and Case Study Topic 10: Castro (ATL).On this page we have covered the aspects of his rule which highlight the impact that the Cold War had on his...
The growth of Japanese nationalism and militarism after 1931 and the consequent expansion of Japan into East Asia led to war with China and conflict with the West. This was to culminate in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour in 1941 - an event that transformed the European war into a global war.The Video Road to War: Japan gives an excellent overview of the events leading up to Pearl Harbour and...
The ATL on this page deal with the role of Hitler and Germany in increasing international tension in the 1930s and ultimately forcing Britain and France to declare war in September 1939.Guiding QuestionsWhat was the impact of the First World War on Hitler's foreign policy aims?How did Hitler challenge the post-war settlement? Was he an opportunist?What was the international response to Hitler's...
Theme 1: Rivalry, Mistrust and AccordHere are some different activities that you can do for this theme within the topic of the Cold War. There is a mixture of source activities, summary activities, analytical activities, tasks to develop essay writing, individual and team work.The second part of Theme 1 is here: 1.2 Theme 1 - Rivalry, Mistrust and Accord (ATL) Videos and teaching ideas for videos...
This page follows on from the first ATL page for this theme - starting with the impact of the nuclear arms race through to the final collapse of the USSR and the end of the Cold War.The Berlin crisis of 1958 - 1961 and the Cuban Missile crisis are covered here: 3. Theme 3 - Cold War Crises (ATL) Guiding questions:What was the impact of the nuclear arms race on the development of the Cold War?How did...
Nazi Germany (1933 - 1939)Here are some different activities that you can do for this part of Section 14 on Weimar Germany. There is a mixture of starter activities on this page plus source activities, summary activities, analytical activities, individual work and team work that you can also downloadVideos and teaching ideas for videos are covered on separate pages; see left hand side of this page.Guiding...
Paper 2 essays are marked using the markbands which can be found in the IB history guide hereUnlike Paper 3, there are no indicative comment markschemes due to the fact that students can choose their own case studies. The grid below sets out the markbands in a student friendly way.Markbands for paper 2The markbands for marking Paper 2 essays are set out here in a way that makes them easier to read....
Case Study: Mao ZedongThe ATL on this page are for students to investigate the key themes connected with Mao's rise and consolidation of power and the nature of his rule.The key details of Mao's rule are covered under Topic 14: The People's Republic of China (1949 - 2005). The aim of the ATL here and the essay planning (see left hand side) is to pull together the key events of his rule...
Italy (1918 - 1939)Mussolini came to power in Italy in 1922. This topic explores the reasons for his rise to power and the impact of his Fascist ideology on Italy up to 1939.Videos and teaching ideas for videos are covered on the video page for this topic; see left hand side of this page.Guiding questions:What long-term weaknesses in the Italy contributed to Mussolini's rise to power?How did the...
Theme 3: Cold War crisesThis theme involves studying Cold War crises. A crisis is considered to be an event when there was a clear escalation of tension between the superpowersStudents need to be able to examine and compare the causes, impact and significance of two Cold War crises from two different regions.On this page we have ATL for three crises from two regions. However there are other crises...
Finally an InThinking site for IB History – and what a great one! Full of superb teaching ideas, materials and practical advice. Both my students and myself have benefited immensely from the wealth of guidance and inspiration on the site. Highly...
Being such a content heavy course, it's important to keep activities engaging and interesting for students. InThinking helps you do just that. Creative, outside-the-box and critical thinking lessons abound. Can't recommend it enough!
My students have found the InThinking History site to be a really valuable learning tool, full of excellent advice about how to master the IB. As a teacher I regularly use the resources as part of my lessons and for homework. The InThinking site team...
10 November 2018
The Wound in Time is a sonnet written by the British poet Carol Ann Duffy for Armistice Day commemorations.THE WOUND IN TIME more
15 Dec Jo Thomas
1.1 German and Italian expansion (1933–1940) (ATL)Hi Katie have e-mailed to you! Jo
14 Dec Katie Hamilton
1.1 German and Italian expansion (1933–1940) (ATL)Hi Jo, could you send me the link for the article on Italy's invasion of Albania? Our school server has blocked it.
4 Dec Jo Thomas
3. Japanese expansion in East Asia (1931 - 1941) (ATL)Hi Paul Thanks for pointing that out. I've managed to find the source elsewhere and have written it out on to the site. I've also moved it down to Question 5 - Task 1 as chronologically it fits better there. Hope that works Ok. Jo
4 Dec Paul Strootman
3. Japanese expansion in East Asia (1931 - 1941) (ATL)Hello, For Question 3, Task 2 where is says "Read Japan's justification for the establishment of the New Order in East Asia, the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, which can be found here." The link is broken. That looks like an excellent...
1 Dec Jo Thomas
1. Rise of national identity in China (ATL)Thanks!
30 Nov Liz Zadoo
1. Rise of national identity in China (ATL)awesome
29 Nov Jo Thomas
Political developments in Latin America: videosHi Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere! I'll put a note on this page to ask anyone who finds it to let us know. If you need a video on the crisis itself then the CNN Cold War video on Cuba is good. Also the clip from Fog of war by McNamara...
29 Nov Ian Ketcham
Political developments in Latin America: videosThe defying uncle sam video is no longer available. Is it somewhere else online?
15 Nov Jo Thomas
9. European states in the inter-war years: quizzesGreat to hear, Marie. Thanks to Andrew Jones, quiz master for our InThinking history team!
15 Nov Jo Thomas
6. First World War: Videos and activitiesHi Thanks for pointing this out. I've put up another one on Social Darwinism and its impact on thinking in Germany pre WW1 which might work as an alternative. Thanks also for the feedback on the site!
15 Nov Marie Alveberg
9. European states in the inter-war years: quizzesThank you so much, Jo. The students had a useful and motivational revision session with these quizzes today.
15 Nov Liz Zadoo
6. First World War: Videos and activitiesHi! the Scientific Racism Youtube is no longer available. Thanks for the excellent site, by the way. Much appreciated.
The Move to Global War (Paper 1), by Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by OUP
This text-book covers all aspects of the Move to Global War prescribed subject for Paper 1. Not only are the key themes explored, we also provide many source exercises including a full Paper 1 at the end of each chapter.
The Cold War: Superpower Tensions and Rivalries (Paper 2) by Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by Pearson
This text-book comprehensively covers the key themes for the Paper 2 Cold War topic. Alongside the content, we provide essay frames and guidance on essay writing skills.
Causes and Effects of 20th Century Wars (Paper 2), Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by Pearson
This text-book comprehensively covers the content and skills that you need to be able to write essays on the 20th Century Wars topic for Paper 2 of the IB History examination. We cover a range of wars and focus on how these can be used as case studies to answer comparative style essay questions.
European States in the Interwar years (Paper 3) by Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by Pearson
This text-book focuses on Topic 14 of the European region for IB Paper 3, The Interwar Years . We cover Germany, Italy and Spain as well as the Soviet Union, focusing not only on the content but the skills needed to write essays for Paper 3.