InThinking Subject Sites
Supporting IB educators
- Comprehensive help & advice on teaching the IB diploma.
- Written by experts with vast subject knowledge.
- Innovative ideas on ATL & pedagogy.
- Detailed guidance on all aspects of assessment.
Developing great materials
- More than 7 million words across 17 sites.
- Masses of ready-to-go resources for the classroom.
- Dynamic links to current affairs & real world issues.
- Updates every week 52 weeks a year.
Integrating student access
- Give your students direct access to relevant site pages.
- Single student login for all of your school’s subscriptions.
- Create reading, writing, discussion, and quiz assignments.
- Monitor student progress & collate in online gradebook.
Meeting schools' needs
- Global reach with more than 50,000 users worldwide.
- Use our materials to create compelling unit plans.
- Save time & effort which you can reinvest elsewhere.
- Consistently good feedback from subscribers.
For information about pricing, click here.
If you are interested in Jo Thomas, Keely Rogers & Safaruk Chowdhury visiting your school to work with teachers and/or students, please contact us.
The vacation home exchange service for the IB community.
Feel at home when you travel the world.
Here are interactive quizzes for this topic on the Interwar Years.Each page has a different quiz of 25 questions which students can do on their own. When students 'check' their answers they will also get extra information related to the question.1. Weimar and Hitler's rise to powerHere are 25 questions on Weimar and Hitler's rise to power:2. Hitler's consolidation of powerHere...
This pages looks at the issues confronting the peace makers in 1917 and the impact of the Versailles settlement.Essay writing practice for this case study as well as videos and quizzes can be found on the separate pages which you can see to the left.For students doing First World War for paper 3, also check ATL: Europe and the First World War and Europe and the First World War: Essay writing exercisesGuiding...
This page explores further the growing tensions over the different political, social and economic developments taking place in the northern and southern states of America.Guiding questions:What are 'states' rights'?What was the Nullification Crisis?What were the political issues that divided North and South before 1860?What were the economic differences between North and South?How significant...
The Wound in Time is a sonnet written by the British poet Carol Ann Duffy for Armistice Day commemorations.THE WOUND IN TIME by Carol Ann DuffyIt is the wound in Time. The century’s tides, chanting their bitter psalms, cannot heal it. Not the war to end all wars; death’s birthing place; the earth nursing its ticking metal eggs, hatching new carnage. But how could you know, brave as belief...
Nazi Germany (1933 - 1939)Here are some different activities that you can do for this part of Section 14 on Weimar Germany. There is a mixture of starter activities on this page plus source activities, summary activities, analytical activities, individual work and team work that you can also downloadVideos and teaching ideas for videos are covered on separate pages; see left hand side of this page.Guiding...
Theme 1: Rivalry, Mistrust and AccordHere are some different activities that you can do for this theme within the topic of the Cold War. There is a mixture of source activities, summary activities, analytical activities, tasks to develop essay writing, individual and team work.The second part of Theme 1 is here: 1.2 Theme 1 - Rivalry, Mistrust and Accord (ATL) Videos and teaching ideas for videos...
This page follows on from the first ATL page for this theme - starting with the impact of the nuclear arms race through to the final collapse of the USSR and the end of the Cold War.Guiding questions:What was the impact of the nuclear arms race on the development of the Cold War?How did Sino-Soviet relations develop in this period?How did Sino-US relations develop in this period?Why was there a dramatic...
Case study: The Second World WarThis page contains ATL to help students understand the causes of The Second World War.Essay writing practice for this case study as well as ideas for videos and how to incorporate these into your lessons can be found here: 4. Second World War: Essay planning for Paper 2 and 7. Second World War: Videos and activities Guiding questionsWhat issues developed in the 1920s...
Here are some different activities that you can do for this first part of Section 16. There is a mixture of starter activities on this page plus source activities, summary activities, analytical activities, individual work and team work which aim to get students to understand how Stalin was able to establish a totalitarian state which would remain basically unchanged until Gorbachev.Videos and teaching...
Case Study: Mao ZedongThe ATL on this page are for students to investigate the key themes connected with Mao's rise and consolidation of power and the nature of his rule.The key details of Mao's rule are covered under Topic 14: The People's Republic of China (1949 - 2005). The aim of the ATL here and the essay planning (see left hand side) is to pull together the key events of his rule...
Finally an InThinking site for IB History – and what a great one! Full of superb teaching ideas, materials and practical advice. Both my students and myself have benefited immensely from the wealth of guidance and inspiration on the site. Highly...
Being such a content heavy course, it's important to keep activities engaging and interesting for students. InThinking helps you do just that. Creative, outside-the-box and critical thinking lessons abound. Can't recommend it enough!
My students have found the InThinking History site to be a really valuable learning tool, full of excellent advice about how to master the IB. As a teacher I regularly use the resources as part of my lessons and for homework. The InThinking site team...
10 November 2018
The Wound in Time is a sonnet written by the British poet Carol Ann Duffy for Armistice Day commemorations.THE WOUND IN TIME more
15 Nov Jo Thomas
9. European states in the inter-war years: quizzesGreat to hear, Marie. Thanks to Andrew Jones, quiz master for our InThinking history team!
15 Nov Jo Thomas
6. First World War: Videos and activitiesHi Thanks for pointing this out. I've put up another one on Social Darwinism and its impact on thinking in Germany pre WW1 which might work as an alternative. Thanks also for the feedback on the site!
15 Nov Marie Alveberg
9. European states in the inter-war years: quizzesThank you so much, Jo. The students had a useful and motivational revision session with these quizzes today.
15 Nov Liz Zadoo
6. First World War: Videos and activitiesHi! the Scientific Racism Youtube is no longer available. Thanks for the excellent site, by the way. Much appreciated.
13 Nov Jo Thomas
9. European states in the inter-war years: quizzesHi Marie Really glad you are finding them useful! Thanks for letting me know about the missing link - it should be fixed now!
13 Nov Marie Alveberg
9. European states in the inter-war years: quizzesThank you for the quizzes. They are very good for revision. We can not find the answers to "Italy: Mussolini´s consolidation of power". The link takes us to this place: / Are you able to share the answers? Br, Marie
12 Nov Jo Thomas
4. The Cold War: Videos and activitiesThanks for pointing out. What a shame - I've searched everywhere and can't see them out there. But will keep looking.
11 Nov Tim Henkels
4. The Cold War: Videos and activitiesThe timewatch videos are gone, unfortunately.
8 Nov Jo Thomas
1.2 Theme 1 - Rivalry, Mistrust and Accord (ATL)HI Bradley It is a crisis and would be one for the European region - though we think that there are better ones for Europe (e.g. Berlin 48 or 58 - 61). Abel Archer is limited re significance/impact. (You are right about needing crises from...
8 Nov Bradley Minchin
1.2 Theme 1 - Rivalry, Mistrust and Accord (ATL)Can anybody help me with a question about the Abel Archer crisis...am I correct in thinking that this would qualify as an example of a Cold War crisis that happened in Europe? I'm thinking that quite often the questions require students to...
7 Nov Jo Thomas
2. The establishment of a consitutional monarchy (1789 - 1791)Hi Katie It should all be sorted now. I've moved events from end of 1791 to 1794 onto a separate page and redone the missing activities - also added in some extra ones. Thermidorean reaction and Directory are also on a separate page. Let me...
7 Nov Katie Hamilton
2. The establishment of a consitutional monarchy (1789 - 1791)Thanks Jo! I see the page for Terror-Thermidorean Reaction but after the resources that were in Section 2 it just shows the four guiding questions at the bottom with no resources.
The Move to Global War (Paper 1), by Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by OUP
This text-book covers all aspects of the Move to Global War prescribed subject for Paper 1. Not only are the key themes explored, we also provide many source exercises including a full Paper 1 at the end of each chapter.
The Cold War: Superpower Tensions and Rivalries (Paper 2) by Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by Pearson
This text-book comprehensively covers the key themes for the Paper 2 Cold War topic. Alongside the content, we provide essay frames and guidance on essay writing skills.
Causes and Effects of 20th Century Wars (Paper 2), Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by Pearson
This text-book comprehensively covers the content and skills that you need to be able to write essays on the 20th Century Wars topic for Paper 2 of the IB History examination. We cover a range of wars and focus on how these can be used as case studies to answer comparative style essay questions.
European States in the Interwar years (Paper 3) by Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by Pearson
This text-book focuses on Topic 14 of the European region for IB Paper 3, The Interwar Years . We cover Germany, Italy and Spain as well as the Soviet Union, focusing not only on the content but the skills needed to write essays for Paper 3.