InThinking Subject Sites
Join thousands of IB teachers worldwide and take advantage of our expert advice and ready-to-go resources.
Disclaimer: InThinking subject sites are neither endorsed by nor connected with the International Baccalaureate Organisation.
If you are interested in Jo Thomas, Keely Rogers & Safaruk Chowdhury visiting your school to work with teachers and/or students, please contact us.
The vacation home exchange service for the IB community.
Feel at home when you travel the world.
The Years 1911 to 1927 saw several key developments in China: the failed attempt of an imperial general, Yuan Shikai, to bring back the Imperial throne, a period of chaos during which Warlords held sway, the emergence of the GMD as a force which could take power and the development of a new party – the Chinese Communist Party.Guiding Questions:Why did Yuan Shikai take over as provisional President...
What can we learn from a photo? Also, the significance of Bobby Kennedy's assassination and an update on new materials to the site.What can we learn from a photo?As historians, we are fascinated by ‘iconic’ photos that capture a key moment in history, for example, the ‘tank man’ photo during the Tiananmen Square massacre of 1989 or the ‘napalm girl’ photo from the Vietnam war, to name...
The Nanjing Decade was a relatively stable period during which China was ruled by Jiang Jieshi, Sun Yixian's successor. However, many challenges remained and there was only limited success in creating a unified, modern state. Indeed, the seeds were sown during this period for the tumultuous events that were to follow in the next decade.This page focuses on the nature of Jiang's government...
The Weimar Republic (1918 - 1933)Here are some different activities that you can do for this part of Section 14 on Weimar Germany. There is a mixture of starter activities on this page plus source activities, summary activities, analytical activities, individual work and team work that you can also download.Videos and teaching ideas for videos are covered on separate pages; see left hand side of this...
Here are some different activities that you can do for this unit. There is a mixture of starter activities on this page plus source activities, summary activities, analytical activities, individual work and team work that you can also download.
Videos and teaching ideas for videos are covered on separate pages; see 2. German and Italian expansion: Videos and activities
Case Study: HitlerThe ATL on this page are for students to investigate the key themes connected with Hitler's rise and consolidation of power and the nature of his rule.Key details of Hitler's rule are covered under ATL: Nazi Germany (1933-1939) and his foreign policy here: ATL: German and Italian expansion (1933–1940) . Videos on Nazi Gemany can be found here: Videos: European states...
Stalin's rule (1941 - 1953)Here are some different activities that you can do for this second part of Section 16. The aim is to get students to understand the impact of the Second World War on the Soviet Union and on Stalin's position of power after 1945.Videos and teaching ideas for using the videos in class are covered on separate pages; 8. The Soviet Union and Russia: Videos and activities.Guiding...
Theme 1: Rivalry, Mistrust and AccordHere are some different activities that you can do for this theme within the topic of the Cold War. There is a mixture of source activities, summary activities, analytical activities, tasks to develop essay writing, individual and team work.The second part of Theme 1 is here: 1.2 Theme 1 - Rivalry, Mistrust and Accord (ATL) Videos and teaching ideas for videos...
Here are some different activities that you can do for this first part of Section 16. There is a mixture of starter activities on this page plus source activities, summary activities, analytical activities, individual work and team work which aim to get students to understand how Stalin was able to establish a totalitarian state which would remain basically unchanged until Gorbachev.Videos and teaching...
On this page you will find some suggestions and links to videos that can be used as well as teacher notes with suggestions as to how the videos can be used with students. Questions for each video are also on separate worksheets that can be handed out to students.There are also links to videos on the ATL pages where there is a specific ATL task.1. Stalin 'Despot'This is one of our favourite...
Finally an InThinking site for IB History – and what a great one! Full of superb teaching ideas, materials and practical advice. Both my students and myself have benefited immensely from the wealth of guidance and inspiration on the site. Highly...
Being such a content heavy course, it's important to keep activities engaging and interesting for students. InThinking helps you do just that. Creative, outside-the-box and critical thinking lessons abound. Can't recommend it enough!
The website is an excellent resource for teachers to enhance their own understanding and provide stimulating resources and guidance for students. The History pages are very well structured, easy to access and with a clear focus on the core content and...
12 June 2018
What can we learn from a photo? Also, the significance of Bobby Kennedy's assassination and an update on new materials to the site. more
10 May 2018
Update on changes to the IB History course, commemorating Marx and additions to the site!The IB have made some minor changes to the IB history... more
15 April 2018
This month sees the addition on the website of a new topic for the Americas region – Topic 12 The Great Depression (hopefully completed by... more
21 Jun Emil Hanssen
3. IA: Graded student examplesHey Jo! Is it possible to get the entire IA about Midway? The "eye" seems to be missing some of the investigation and the reflection section! Cheers! :)
12 Jun Jo Thomas
5. PS4 Rights and Protest: Full source papersHi Damian - the link is now fixed!! Thanks
12 Jun Damian Kell
5. PS4 Rights and Protest: Full source papersHi there. I can't seem to download the examiner's comments to Sharpeville Paper (the last link on the page). There may be a glitch. Is there any other way to access them? Many thanks.
10 Jun Jo Thomas
5. PS3 Move to Global War: Full source papersHi Steve Yes, sorry it should say source A not source C - have changed. I think that the key aspect of the limitation here is that it is a speech to motivate the generals at a moment of crisis and as such could be exaggerated in terms of Hitler's...
10 Jun Steve Lawrence
5. PS3 Move to Global War: Full source papersI think that for Hitler's motivations, question 1a is mentioning the wrong source. The answers here look like source A, not source C. Also for the OPCVL, I can't understand how these are 'limitations'. I think those answers (as exemplars) should...
27 Apr Jo Thomas
7. The Cold War: QuizzesHi Matthew - answers are now there!
27 Apr Matthew Tomich
7. The Cold War: QuizzesFor quick reference, do you have the answers to the other two quizzes? Thank you!
11 Apr Jo Thomas
4. PS5 Conflict and Intervention: Full source papersHi Jason - Yes, it should be for Source C - have changed it on the paper - thanks for spotting it!
11 Apr Jason Mungles
4. PS5 Conflict and Intervention: Full source papersGood papers and mark schemes. Que 2 OPVL on Rwanda asks students to look at source B but the mark scheme response is for source C. 2. With reference to its origin, purpose and content, analyse the value and limitations of Source B for historians...
5 Mar Jo Thomas
7. The Soviet Union and Russia: Graded student essaysOK - thanks - that's interesting to know.
4 Mar Valeriya Rotershteyn
7. The Soviet Union and Russia: Graded student essaysLike the essay 1, but there is a mistake - A.Akhmatova never been imprisoned, just her son, Lev Gumilev, spent in GULAG more than10 years and her third husband, N.Punin died in camp.
8 Feb Jo Thomas
February updateThanks for the feedback - really great to hear!