InThinking Subject Sites
Supporting IB educators
- Comprehensive help & advice on teaching the IB diploma.
- Written by experts with vast subject knowledge.
- Innovative ideas on ATL & pedagogy.
- Detailed guidance on all aspects of assessment.
Developing great materials
- More than 7 million words across 17 sites.
- Masses of ready-to-go resources for the classroom.
- Dynamic links to current affairs & real world issues.
- Updates every week 52 weeks a year.
Integrating student access
- Give your students direct access to relevant site pages.
- Single student login for all of your school’s subscriptions.
- Create reading, writing, discussion, and quiz assignments.
- Monitor student progress & collate in online gradebook.
Meeting schools' needs
- Global reach with more than 50,000 users worldwide.
- Use our materials to create compelling unit plans.
- Save time & effort which you can reinvest elsewhere.
- Consistently good feedback from subscribers.
For information about pricing, click here.
If you are interested in Jo Thomas, Keely Rogers & Safaruk Chowdhury visiting your school to work with teachers and/or students, please contact us.
The vacation home exchange service for the IB community.
Feel at home when you travel the world.
This page examines the reasons for the establishment of the state of Israel in 1948. It also looks at the causes and effects of the first Arab-Israeli War 1948 - 1949.Guiding questions:What is Zionism?What was the impact of the First World War on the Middle East? Why did tensions grow during the British Mandate after 1919?What was the impact of the Second World War? Why was Israel successful in the...
This page examines Liberation Theology, a radical movement that developed in Latin America as a response to the poverty and the ill-treatment of ordinary people; it looks at the causes of the movement, the opposition that it faced and its lasting impact. Mural of St. Oscar Romereohttp://www.latinolife.co.uk/node/214Guiding questions:When and why did Liberation theology emerge?Why did the growth of...
Happy New Year! See below for site updates, plans for 2019, forthcoming Anniversaries and some other interesting articles.Site updateMany thanks for all of your responses to our New Year message and your positive comments about the site. It has been very helpful to get an overview of which topics you are all using and also to know which topics you still want to see.This month we have uploaded another...
Theme 1: Rivalry, Mistrust and AccordHere are some different activities that you can do for this theme within the topic of the Cold War. There is a mixture of source activities, summary activities, analytical activities, tasks to develop essay writing, individual and team work.The second part of Theme 1 is here: 1.2 Theme 1 - Rivalry, Mistrust and Accord (ATL) Videos and teaching ideas for videos...
This page follows on from the first ATL page for this theme - starting with the impact of the nuclear arms race through to the final collapse of the USSR and the end of the Cold War.The Berlin crisis of 1958 - 1961 and the Cuban Missile crisis are covered here: 3. Theme 3 - Cold War Crises (ATL) Guiding questions:What was the impact of the nuclear arms race on the development of the Cold War?How did...
Case Study: Mao ZedongThe ATL on this page are for students to investigate the key themes connected with Mao's rise and consolidation of power and the nature of his rule.The key details of Mao's rule are covered under Topic 14: The People's Republic of China (1949 - 2005). The aim of the ATL here and the essay planning (see left hand side) is to pull together the key events of his rule...
Nazi Germany (1933 - 1939)Here are some different activities that you can do for this part of Section 14 on Weimar Germany. There is a mixture of starter activities on this page plus source activities, summary activities, analytical activities, individual work and team work that you can also downloadVideos and teaching ideas for videos are covered on separate pages; see left hand side of this page.Guiding...
The ATL on this page deal with the role of Hitler and Germany in increasing international tension in the 1930s and ultimately forcing Britain and France to declare war in September 1939.Guiding QuestionsWhat was the impact of the First World War on Hitler's foreign policy aims?How did Hitler challenge the post-war settlement? Was he an opportunist?What was the international response to Hitler's...
The growth of Japanese nationalism and militarism after 1931 and the consequent expansion of Japan into East Asia led to war with China and conflict with the West. This was to culminate in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour in 1941 - an event that transformed the European war into a global war.The Video Road to War: Japan gives an excellent overview of the events leading up to Pearl Harbour and...
CNN Cold War SeriesA great series of videos for teaching the Cold War: superpower tensions and rivalries is the CNN Cold War Series.This series has proved to be controversial with right-wing historians claiming that it is too lenient on the role of the USSR in the Cold war; there is even a book containing essays from those pro and anti the series. The main points in this debate by Richard Pipes and...
Finally an InThinking site for IB History – and what a great one! Full of superb teaching ideas, materials and practical advice. Both my students and myself have benefited immensely from the wealth of guidance and inspiration on the site. Highly...
Being such a content heavy course, it's important to keep activities engaging and interesting for students. InThinking helps you do just that. Creative, outside-the-box and critical thinking lessons abound. Can't recommend it enough!
The website is an excellent resource for teachers to enhance their own understanding and provide stimulating resources and guidance for students. The History pages are very well structured, easy to access and with a clear focus on the core content and...
11 January 2019
Happy New Year! See below for site updates, plans for 2019, forthcoming Anniversaries and some other interesting articles.Many thanks for all... more
19 December 2018
More site updates and some extra resources from the Web.Several developments have taken place on our site since the last blog in November. more
8 Jan Jo Thomas
6. Economic miracle and its impact on JapanThanks Nathan - that's brilliant. I'll have a look and incorporate them with timings and questions onto the page
8 Jan Nathan Gildart
6. Economic miracle and its impact on JapanThis is Part 2 of the video above for those interested. I also like this one but it is a full-length documentary:
7 Jan Jo Thomas
5. Counter-culture in the USHi Monica You could try on Vimeo or Daily Motion. It is in several places on Youtube - I'll send you another link by e-mail. I hope you can get it Ok as it's an excellent video for this topic!
6 Jan Monica Bielsa
5. Counter-culture in the USHi there, Is there another link to watch People´s Century part 21 available? I am in France and seems to be blocked here. I have tried to find another link but cannot find any that works. Thanks, Monica
15 Dec Jo Thomas
1.1 German and Italian expansion (1933–1940) (ATL)Hi Katie have e-mailed to you! Jo
14 Dec Katie Hamilton
1.1 German and Italian expansion (1933–1940) (ATL)Hi Jo, could you send me the link for the article on Italy's invasion of Albania? Our school server has blocked it.
4 Dec Jo Thomas
3. Japanese expansion in East Asia (1931 - 1941) (ATL)Hi Paul Thanks for pointing that out. I've managed to find the source elsewhere and have written it out on to the site. I've also moved it down to Question 5 - Task 1 as chronologically it fits better there. Hope that works Ok. Jo
4 Dec Paul Strootman
3. Japanese expansion in East Asia (1931 - 1941) (ATL)Hello, For Question 3, Task 2 where is says "Read Japan's justification for the establishment of the New Order in East Asia, the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, which can be found here." The link is broken. That looks like an excellent...
1 Dec Jo Thomas
1. Rise of national identity in China (ATL)Thanks!
30 Nov Liz Zadoo
1. Rise of national identity in China (ATL)awesome
29 Nov Jo Thomas
Political developments in Latin America: videosHi Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere! I'll put a note on this page to ask anyone who finds it to let us know. If you need a video on the crisis itself then the CNN Cold War video on Cuba is good. Also the clip from Fog of war by McNamara...
29 Nov Ian Ketcham
Political developments in Latin America: videosThe defying uncle sam video is no longer available. Is it somewhere else online?
The Move to Global War (Paper 1), by Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by OUP
This text-book covers all aspects of the Move to Global War prescribed subject for Paper 1. Not only are the key themes explored, we also provide many source exercises including a full Paper 1 at the end of each chapter.
The Cold War: Superpower Tensions and Rivalries (Paper 2) by Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by Pearson
This text-book comprehensively covers the key themes for the Paper 2 Cold War topic. Alongside the content, we provide essay frames and guidance on essay writing skills.
Causes and Effects of 20th Century Wars (Paper 2), Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by Pearson
This text-book comprehensively covers the content and skills that you need to be able to write essays on the 20th Century Wars topic for Paper 2 of the IB History examination. We cover a range of wars and focus on how these can be used as case studies to answer comparative style essay questions.
European States in the Interwar years (Paper 3) by Jo Thomas and Keely Rogers. Published by Pearson
This text-book focuses on Topic 14 of the European region for IB Paper 3, The Interwar Years . We cover Germany, Italy and Spain as well as the Soviet Union, focusing not only on the content but the skills needed to write essays for Paper 3.