The CUEGIS essay
There are no universally accepted definitions of concepts, as they are transdisciplinary by nature. The following provides an example for each concept, from the perspective of IB Business Management:
- Change is the adaptation of the organization to accommodate for the external business environment, e.g. organizations need to adapt what they do in relation to new technologies, social and cultural factors, changing demographics, different government laws, economic trends and globalization.
- Culture describes an organization’s traditions and norms, i.e. the way in which things are done within the organization. Culture can also refer to the customs and norms within a certain area, region or country, which can have a direct impact on all aspects of an organization’s operations.
- Ethics are a set of moral values and guiding principles that influence how individuals, organizations and societies behave. Different stakeholders may have different perspectives on what is considered ethical business behaviour.
- Globalization is the ongoing process of interaction and integration between people, firms and organizations trade is conducted over widening geographical boundaries, offering opportunities and threats.
- Innovation refers to the incremental or radical process of improving business, such as introducing new or adapting existing technologies to supply improved goods or services.
- Strategy is the long term plan and decisions which allow an organization to achieve a particular organizational goal.
- Find out as much relevant information as you can about a small number of real organizations – use the V CRAMPS acronym to organize your findings
- Learn and apply the key concepts, using appropriate IB Business Management tools, theories and techniques
- Investigate the problems, successes and strategies of your chosen organizations
- Provide actual examples about the organization
- Practice writing CUEGIS answers under timed conditions, ensuring you can complete the essay in a timely manner
- Make sure you understand the assessment criteria for Section C of Paper 2.
Frequently Asked Questions about the CUEGIS Essay
FAQ 1 Can students use the organization in Paper 1 as the basis for their CUEGIS essay?
FAQ 2 How long should the CUEGIS essay be?
FAQ 3 How many stakeholders need to be considered in the CUEGIS essay?
FAQ 4 Can students use the organization in their Internal Assessment for the CUEGIS essay?
FAQ 5 Do students have to define the key concepts in their CUEGIS essay?
FAQ 6 How many organizations should students research / prepare for the CUEGIS essay?
FAQ 7 Is it a good idea for students to pre-prepare their CUEGIS essays?
Return to the CUEGIS homepage