A paragraph, sentence, phrase, word
An activity used to explore a text and encourage discussion.
How to use
- understanding and evaluating a text
- discussion starter
- planning tool
This tool can be used in different situations:
- an introductory activity to engage people with the topic to be discussed
- collaborative discussion around a topic - prioritizing the main issues
- reviewing a document - gaining 'buy in' to a policy or professional statement
- aligning understanding
- good for testing whether a document or presentation does what it is trying to do
with senior leadership team on refreshing, for example, their understanding of IB standards and practices
good for sharing complex or lots of material quickly
good for testing whether a document or presentation does what it is is trying to do
- Individually or as a group review the paper and then:
highlight a sentence that helped you understand the paper and contains the 'big idea'
underline a phrase that resonated with you - in a meaningful or provoking way
circle a word that stood out to you and captured your attention
- Each person or group shares their thoughts with each other. What is highlighted? What is at the heart of the paper? How did you make your choice?
- Look at your responses. What are the implications of your choices? Which common themes emerge? Which questions remain?