A clear vision and mission provide a focus for the energies and direction of a school. Research shows that schools with a clear vision and mission have a greater chance of improved student outcomes, in terms of both progress and attainment.
A schools’ vision and mission needs to be continually articulated to new stakeholders, be they prospective students and parents, or in the recruitment and induction of new members of staff and governors, in order to ensure that they are embedded within the school community. Vision and mission also need to be reviewed and developed at different stages of a schools’ history, to ensure that they are appropriate. In this section we will look at a number of ways of writing and evaluating a school vision and mission and the importance of a strategic plan to implement them.
- What is meant by 'vision' and 'mission'? What is their value to a school?
- How do we demonstrate an ability to align our mission with the IB mission and philosophy?
- What makes a strategic plan effective? How do we involve all stakeholders in strategic planning?
- How can we make the links between vision, mission and strategic plan visible?
- How can leaders manage change?
Vision, Mission & Strategy Toolkit
The leadership tools in this section have been designed so that you can use them with Governors and your Senior Leadership Team. The activities can be used in organizing workshops and strategy meetings on vision, mission, strategy, change leadership and cost management. You can use these tools to engage your whole school community in:
developing a strong vision and mission
evaluating your vision and mission
aligning your mission and vision with that of the IB
marketing your school
writing an effective strategic plan
reviewing your vision, mission and strategic plan
- understanding the management of change